Pacific Stainless NZ - Frequently Asked Questions


How do I care for my stainless steel bench?

Routine cleaning of your stainless steel is easy if the following simple procedure is followed. After use wipe the stainless steel product surface with a soft damp soapy cloth, rinse with water. In hard-water areas, an application of Jif will avoid any build-up of dull film of waterborne deposits. Although stainless steel is an extremely durable material and will withstand a great deal of hard use, it can be scratched by hard or sharp objects. If the surfaces are to be kept in a blemish free condition reasonable care should be taken when handling such items.


Can I place a hot pot or hot oven tray on top of my stainless bench?

Yes, however for a short period of time only. Not recommended.


Can light scratching be removed?

Yes Use Autosol available from Repco.
For light to medium marking use Jif detergent and rub in line with the bench grain only


Can heavy scratching be removed?

Yes, by machine polishing. Please contact us for advice.


What can I avoid using around stainless steel?

BLEACHES: Most common domestic bleaches contain Chlorine in the form of hypo-chlorine. Chlorine attacks the microscopic Chromium Oxide film on the surface and cause pitting of the surface. Bleaches should always be used in the prescribed strength specified by the manufacturers. Undiluted bleaches can cause pitting and staining of the surface and should be immediately rinsed off with plenty of clean water. All cleaning agents containing hypochlorite’s are unsuitable for use with stainless steel and, even highly diluted, can cause pitting under certain conditions. For this reason it is strongly recommended that the sink is not used for soaking clothes or cleaning clothes in hypo-chloric solutions for long periods.

SILVER DIP CLEANERS: These are particularly harmful since they contain strong acids, which can cause discolouration and pitting. The first sign of this is an iridescent rainbow stain, which turns an etched dull grey colour. Should any Silver Dip Cleaner come into contact with the surface of the stainless steel it should be immediately rinsed off with plenty of clean water.

CORROSIVE FOODSTUFFS: Fruit juices, damp salt, vinegar, readymade mustards, pickle and mayonnaise can cause pitting and corrosion if left in contact with the stainless steel for long periods.

ACIDS: Sulphuric, Hydrochloric and other strong acids will cause pitting corrosion, as will photographic developing liquids. All should be immediately washed off with plenty of clean water if contact occurs